Do I need a Permit?

Permit Penalty

Any person who commences work on a building, structure, or a ROW project before obtaining the needed permits shall be subject to an additional fee established by the Building Official that shall be in addition to the required permit fees. ($50.00 minimum – double the permit fee maximum) Legal and/or civil proceedings may also be commenced.

A homeowner is able to apply for a building permit for an owner occupied structure.  The owner’s representative or contractor may also apply for the permit with the approval of the property owner.  Residential contractors are required to be licensed in the City of Pierre.

When DO I need a permit?

If the project does not fall within the scope of work listed to the right, than a building permit will be required. Please fill out a building permit application that is applicable to the project and submit the application and associated documents to the building official for review.  Small project make take 2-4 days for review.  Larger projects may take 1-4 weeks of review time depending on complexity.

When DON'T I need a permit?

  • Decks not more than 30” above adjacent grade without a railing and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.3 (means of egress)
  • Moveable cases, counters, and partitions
  • One-story detached accessory structures used as tool & storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area is less than 120 square feet
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, plumbing fixtures, downspouts, gutters, soffits, fascias and similar work
  • Platforms, sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below and which is not part of an accessible route. ROW permit may be required for any work in the City Right-of-Way
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to an R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches deep, do not exceed 5000 gallons capacity and are installed entirely above grade
  • Retaining walls less than 4 feet in height measured from the bottom adjacent grade elevation unless supporting a surcharge or impounding liquids.
  • Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or ag purposes and not including service systems
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to one and two family dwellings
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of Group R-3