Beginning Tuesday, May 30, Capitol Avenue between Nicollet Avenue and Ree Street will close to allow the street to be rebuilt and underground utilities to be replaced.
The road will remain closed to traffic until the project is completed. The project is expected to be complete in August.
“I understand Capitol Avenue is a major thoroughfare and that this project will cause traffic and parking disruptions,” said Lynn Patton, Construction and Operations Manager. “We will work hard to complete the project as quickly as possible and to maintain access to parking whenever possible.”
Throughout the majority of the construction project, the following parking areas will be accessible.
- Parking lot located behind the Soldiers and Sailors Building
- On street Capitol Avenue parking east of Ree Street
- Parking lot behind the Foss Building
- Parking lot near Hyde Stadium / Boys and Girls Club
- Parking lot north of Capitol Building; Capitol Loop exit to Capitol Avenue will remain open throughout most of the construction project
Those interested in Capitol Avenue construction updates are encouraged to follow Pierre Municipal Utilities on Facebook.
Weather permitting, Harrison Avenue between East Cabot Street and East Broadway Avenue will close between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. beginning Thursday, May 25. The street will be closed to through traffic to allow for curb and gutter replacement. The stretch of Harrison Avenue is expected to remain closed between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. until Thursday, June 1.